February 25, 2009
So, the second week of a broken rib sucks ass too. Not as bad as the first week, but there is still considerable suckage. Fortunately, each day it feels a little better. Unfortunately, it still sucks. Did I mention that it sucks?
- I’m not sleeping well. I have a terrible time falling asleep, and once I fall asleep, any little movement on the part of me, S, or the cat wakes me up. It feels like I’ve slept about 20 minutes total since Sunday night. And since it seems to have been Ambien that caused this whole crazy mess, taking something to help me sleep seems right out about now.
- This whole bra thing is driving me crazy. I’ve got one (!) bra with a band loose enough to be able to wear over this silly break, which, unfortunately, is directly under where the band goes. Very uncomfortable, plus I have to wash that one and only bra all of the time.
- The pain is less sharp and more achy. Constantly. No matter how I sit, stand, or lay.
- My students keep asking me what’s on my face. It’s a bruise. Stop staring.
- Oddly enough, I feel like I’m going through the stages of grief with this whole thing:
- Denial: In some ways, it doesn’t really feel like this has actually happened to me. Probably because I can’t remember the actual time of injury itself – I woke up, and was in excruciating pain and couldn’t breathe. It all feels kind of surreal.
- Anger: I do anger really well. Yesterday, I woke up pissed off at the world, snarling at everyone in my path. Not sure what was up with that or where it came from.
- Bargaining: I keep telling myself that this is the catalyst to get me back to the gym – that when I finally heal up, I’m heading back to get myself in shape, since I can’t do it now. Yeah, whatever.
- Depression: Isn’t it obvious?
- Acceptance: I’ll hit this one in, oh, about 4.5 weeks!