February 18, 2009
Just thinking out loud
I just need toget some thoughts out so that I can clarify things for myself. Just babbling here. Nothing to see, feel free to move along.
I need to decide by about noon whether or not I’m going to go to work tomorrow. School needs to know so that they can tell the sub whether or not she’ll be there for another day.
Arguments for going:
- The pain is definitely less than yesterday. And will hopefully be better tomorrow.
- I don’t have much to give my sophomores in the way of work for tomorrow.
- I’m getting bored.
- I’m worried about students taking too much time off from new things, although their current work is review of material they just recently learned.
- I can go for a few hours and leave if I feel like I have to. I’m not bound to staying for the entire day.
Arguments for staying home:
- I still hurt. Really hurts when I stand and move around.
- I didn’t sleep well last night, and I certainly would be in no shape to teach if I don’t sleep tonight.
- I’ve got plenty of work that the juniors can do if I’m not there.
- Most movement is painful. Sitting with my back supported is not. And I definitely can’t sit at work for long.
- I’m most certainly not indispensable, and they can deal without me for another day.
Arguments that don’t really fit in either category:
- Whenever I decide to go back, that first day will HAVE to be a real teaching day with my sophomores.
- I don’t know if the pain is bad enough to keep me home another day, or if I’m just being a wimp. I don’t know if I’m just making excuses, or if it’s legitimate.
- Honestly? I feel guilty about taking another day off. But I shouldn’t, because that’s what sick days are for.
My gut tells me to stay home, my head tell me to go.
I’m still not sure.
ETA: I decided to stay home. Someone on Plurk made the very excellent point that I can do more damage by working myself too hard too soon, and that made a huge amount of sense to me.